Simon Marks Jewish Primary School and the Brenner Centre (run by Jewish Care) have developed a close relationship over the years. The school choir has performed at several events hosted by the Centre, including an intergenerational Purim party.
In December last year, students from the school choir performed at Hackney and East London synagogue for Chanukah and at St Joseph’s hospice. In January, the choir took part in Hackney’s Holocaust Memorial Day commemorations.
Simon Marks Jewish Primary School has a wide variety of links with the local, and wider, communities. Examples of some of these links include:
- Working with the Three Faiths Forum to link with the Olive School facilitating structured connections with other faith communities;
- Sending pupil representatives to the Israel Dance Festival;
- Sending pupil representatives to the Hackney Music Festival and Hackney Dance Festival;
- Local councillors invited to speak to the school and school council during National Democracy Week;
- Playing football matches against other local schools;
- Taking part in the local commemorations for Holocaust Memorial Day;
- Commemorating Remembrance Sunday through lessons and speakers from the Association of Jewish Ex-Servicemen and Women;
- School council representatives explaining Judaism to other local schoolchildren.